Is this course right for me?
This course is for people who are new to business development in HE/ research organisations or new to business development altogether. They may not have much experience of working with business and probably not much experience of how university business engagement works.
Delegates will most likely be working in higher education, public sector research organisations, and potentially in businesses too. They may have significant experience in aspects of internal management of TT/Knowledge Exchange (KE), but less knowledge and understanding of the specific issues around business development. They may be focusing on a discipline area or a particular sector e.g. Healthcare, Arts and Culture, Physics, Biosciences.
Why should I attend this course?
Universities are increasingly expecting their academics to diversify income streams and build pathways to impact. Academics are busy and don’t usually have the skills needed to build relationships and engage effectively with business.
With Impact as a major new driver, we expect that more staff with a business development or business engagement role will be recruited.
It is easy to make contacts but much harder to turn these into valuable, long-term, productive relationships. This course aims to make this process more straightforward and efficient and give the delegates tools to help them add value to the academic or scientist with whom they are working.
What will I learn from the course?
- What is business development all about?
- The challenge of presenting an offer to a crowded and fragmented market (internal and external)
- Understanding where your offer fits in the value chain
- The different ways in which universities interact with business and mechanisms that can be used to facilitate that.
- How to engage with different markets
- Hear what industry really thinks of your services and how we can improve them
- Tips on networking and building a wide and varied network of contacts
- How to use tools such as marketing databases, client relationship management (CRM), marketing and social media to achieve your goals
- How to lead conversations with customers to generate interest and enthusiasm and move relationships towards agreements
- How to define the elements of an efficient deal by focussing on the needs of the parties
- How to be a successful account manager
Delegates will have the opportunity to hear from (and speak directly with) academic, industrial and business development practitioners. There will also be ample opportunity for networking with other delegates, the course team and other contributors. Delegates will have the opportunity to solve their own business development problems with the help of the course delegates.
What makes this course different to others available in the sector?
PraxisAuril is able to deliver this training from the unique perspective of KE practitioners. We see the world from the same angle as you do!
We draw on a wide pool of experience and expertise from within the profession and build them into the course content, ensuring we are always delivering up to date, sector leading training and development.
PLEASE NOTE: This course has been updated in light of feedback from earlier deliveries, to ensure that it continues to meet the needs of each of our delegates. The highly participative and interactive programme uses a new range of interactive techniques to engage delegates in an immersive, memorable and enjoyable learning experience.
20% discount on group bookings
Make a 20% saving on course fees by registering five or more delegates from your organisation for this event.
The course fee includes:
- Attendance at all lectures and workshops
- Training and reference materials (electronic or otherwise)
- Registration event (including buffet dinner & drinks) on Tuesday 27 February 2018
- Networking event (including buffet dinner & drinks) on Wednesday 28 February 2018
- Morning and afternoon refreshments and lunch every day
Loughborough, LEC LE11-3GR
|Course Fee||£ 1175.00|
|Course Fee with Member Discount||£ 1045.00|